Founder of Peace Meditation at UN
In the spring of 1970, at the invitation of then Secretary-General U Thant, Sri Chinmoy began conducting twice-weekly non-denominational meditations for peace for United Nations staff members, delegates, non-governmental organizations (NGO) representatives and affiliates.
Since then, Sri Chinmoy: The Peace Meditation at the United Nations, as the group is known, has continued its meditations and has sponsored an ongoing series of programmes, lectures and concerts to promote world harmony.
These have often been in cooperation with UN Member States as well as with organizations which support the ideals and goals of the United Nations.
Sri Chinmoy also led a DPI-affiliated non-governmental organization, the Sri Chinmoy Centre, (www.srichinmoy.org) which conducts a myriad of activities and strives to promote harmony and humanitarian aid across the globe. Prominent among these activities are:
- The World Harmony Run (www.worldharmonyrun.org), a global relay that seeks to create good will among peoples of all nations through sport. Participants annually carry a flaming torch and pass it from hand to hand as it travels through more than 80 nations; and
- The Oneness-Heart-Tears and Smiles worldwide humanitarian service (www.oneness-heart.org), a global community of medical and health-care professionals, private volunteers and concerned individuals from five continents who dedicate their lives to providing food, clothing, medical supplies and other essentials to those in need, including victims of poverty and natural disasters.
For 43 years Sri Chinmoy dedicated his life to the service of world peace and to the fulfilment of the unlimited potential of the human spirit. Also a prolific poet, essayist, artist and musician, and an avid athlete, he inspired citizens worldwide through his creative endeavours, through innovative peace initiatives and through the example of his own life.
For 37 years he brought his multifaceted inspiration to the United Nations family in the spirit of selfless offering, encouraging individuals of all faiths, races and nationalities to seek peace in their lives and to bring this peace to their United Nations work.
For additional information about the Peace Meditation at the United Nations, please call 212-844-9235 (confirm) or 718-291-0364.
Link to a publication: “A Celebration of the Life of Sri Chinmoy 1931-2007, Leader of Peace Meditations at the United Nations”. It contains the full programe held at the United Nations on 30 October 2007, as well as selected tributes and excerpts from Sri Chinmoy’s writings.
Also included are short accounts of Sri Chinmoy’s meetings and correspondence over the years with the Secretaries-General of the United Nations.
Sri Chinmoy and:
- U Thant, Secretary-General 1961–1971
- Kurt Waldheim, Secretary-General 1972–1981
- Javier Pérez de Cuéllar, Secretary-General 1982–1991_
- Boutros Boutros-Ghali Secretary-General 1992–1996
For more information on programme of 30 Oct 2007, see also links to separate posts:
A. Introduction …………………………………………………………………………………………… p.2
B. Sri Chinmoy’s meetings and correspondence with the Secretaries-General of the UN . p.3 – 7
C. A Celebration of the Life of Sri Chinmoy, held at the United Nations……………………. p. 8 – 23
Inspiring Quotes – and Thoughts about the UN, Heart-Home and Oneness-World.