Meditation Room UN 25 Yr. : Presentation to SG, 1st “Declaration World Thanks..” 1982 – 83Filed under Prayer or silence day - event | Room of Quiet | Thanksgiving - Gratitude | UN Anniversaries
Date between 1982-Nov to Feb 1983 , Originally was to be in Nov 1982, (in time for actual 25th anniversary of the redesign of the Meditation Rom at UN) was postponed to fit various participants schedules.
25th Anniversary of redesigned _Meditation – Room of Quiet” at UN.
Secretary-General, Javier Perez De Cuellar Accepts first Declaration of World Thanksgiving 1982
Members of Peace Meditation group assisted in coordination of events leading to the 1982-1983 event.
- The meditation Group had organized the successful 20th Anniversary Celebration in 1977
- link to 20th anniversary of redesign med room at UN
- and Thanksgiving Square foundation showed interest in being involved with the 25th anniversary.
- Ambassador Davidson Hepburn, Permanent Representative of the Bahamas tot he U.N. serves as Master of Ceremonies at Presentation of Thanksgiving Proclamation to SG from religious leaders
- The event is in Cooperation with Center for World Thanksgiving, and takes place outside entrance to meditation room of quiet. It is in front of the famous stained glass window by Chagall.
In 1983, leaders in five world religions, Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, Christian, and Muslim, represented the
human family in ‘presenting the first Declaration of World Thanksgiving to the Secretary-General of the
United Nations, Javier Perez de Cuellar.
- First Declaration of World Thanksgiving was written by Fellows of World Thanksgiving – educators, philosophers, statesmen, and theologians – from around the world.
- Twelve internationally known leaders were then invited to approve the declaration by signing it.
- It was then presented to the Secretary-General of the United Nations for the whole human family.
- Each year since, a new declaration has been approved by twelve more
- Collection of some other years (*1982 – 2008) *1982 – 2008 Declaration of World Thanksgiving shared with Meditation Group and others
- Draft Proposal for a World Thanksgiving (and gratitude) Day 2007 – 2008 resolution and background_The possible broad interfaith support for a UN General Assembly resolution was indicated by the 1982 -2007 annual declarations.
click on image below for larger or different resolution photo- Image: